Tuesday, July 30, 2013

J's Kindergarten curriculum

When I led a preschool group out of our home, I used the Christian Homeschool Curriculum Horizons, published by Alpha Omega. It worked great for my little ones. I really liked how it was all written out and how easy it was to use! I found the bible lessons - walking through the 7 days of creation - really fun, and the worksheet pages thorough. I also liked their suggestions for songs, games, crafts and letter introductions. 

HOWEVER...
I kept recreating the lessons to make them my own. Because, for some reason, I really enjoy reading and creating curriculum. 

So, for Kindergarten I decided to use a mixture of some things I purchase, and some things I create! I know... more work for myself... but it's what I really love to do - - so I might as well!

READING - 
I felt like we needed a strong reading program. One that would combine phonics and sight word reading and help my little guy learn to LOVE to read. I purchased ALL ABOUT READING Level 1 by All About Learning Press. You should have seen my excitement when I opened the box!! Great workbooks, a fabulous easy to read teachers manual, little hardcover readers for J! J gave a little smile and continued playing Cars, so maybe he's not as excited as I am....

Either way, I've had a chance to read through it all and complete the first five lessons and we both really like it. I highly recommend the program, and by using it, I feel more confident I'm not going to miss something important in his instruction.




MATH - 
I fully intend to finish researching and find a great comprehensive math program for J to use by December, but for now we are going to finish using a program called Math Mastermind that I found for him at a local clearance bookstore and we started when he was doing preschool. I love how it's designed, first with an activity using provided manipulatives, then with a simple workbook page. It also included a great software and worksheet printable CD for the computer. 



BIBLE - 
If you have never checked out Hubbardscupboard.org for character building - you need to! On the main page click on Christian Resources, then choose character. She has an amazing library of activities, printables, crafts and educational games connected to bible verses sorted by character traits. I absolutely love all the choices, and we will be working through the traits all year long. In addition, I purchased J Fun Devotions for Boys - Gotta Have God ages 2-5 by Legacy Press. Each days devotion features a bible reference, story, questions, prayer and activity. They are short and simple, but (I have found) makes a big impact on my little guy. 




I'll work in handwriting each week with various activities, as well as science, social studies, art and P.E - primarily through integrating them into the different themes we will cover. With all of that going on, plus All About Music class, Spanish lessons, drum lessons, our library reading club, soccer at the rec center, and meeting with our homeschool co-op, I think we'll keep plenty busy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment